Sunday, June 12, 2011

Maintenance - Expect It

 Let's see...a house that rolls (and bumps) down the road on a truck.  What a complex set up!  And when that house on truck encounters some of the roads that our fine DOT staff provide, well, you better have a budget.  In an earlier post I mentioned we had had a tire failure.  Fortunately, it was an inside rear tire, and we were able to get to safety.  If it had been a FRONT tire, well, we would have been stranded on the side of I-95.  I went to have the spare tire replaced, and decided that as a matter of safety, it would be good to consider potential circumstances and best options.  The tire staff said the tire failure was typical of the Goodyear tires they used to sell...they called it a zipper tear in the sidewall.  They agreed with EVERY tire person I have talked to.  New tires fail, old tires fail.  Age is one factor.  Overall condition, pressure, temperature, workmanship on construction all contribute to tire life.  There was no need to arbitrarily replace all the tires; the one that failed was in good shape otherwise.  However, in light of overall potential outcomes, I felt it would be better to have 2 NEW tires on the front. 
 So, $600 later I had two new Sumitomo tires on the front of the RV.  The local shop has been using them for 7 years, including Emergency Vehicles with excellent results.  They will be hitting the road with us in 10 days or so. 

We also developed a bad squeal in the bath fan motor; lubrication worked for 24 hours but no more.  I took it completely apart and put the motor in my pocket.  I went to one RV Dealer, no luck.  I went to Radio Shack and a Hobby shop, no luck.  I went to another larger RV Dealer and bingo....the exact motor and other related parts for this type of fan.  It was a relatively easy swap, about $35. 

While I was there, I spotted another extra I wanted.  As tall as I am, it is east to want to grab the closing door at the screen - but there is no handle!  At least there wasn't.  I bought this screen door bar.  Reasonably priced, easy to install, and now when I GRAB, I actually have something to hold onto that won't hurt the screen door.  About $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment